Post-Migration Deprovision and UnDeprovision Inconsistencies – Solved!

After a few rounds of email with Quest (Dell) support about our somewhat-successful management history migration, I found out that edsvaDeprovisionStatus and its sister edsvaUnDeprovisionStatus are stored in Change History, not Management History, and therefore are not moved by the Management History Migration Wizard. The helpful support engineer, Jose, suggested I try writing edsvaDeprovisionStatus directly. Since I couldn’t write to edsvaDeprovisionReportXml, I assumed that edsvaDeprovisionStatus and edsvaUnDeprovisionStatus were also unwritable. I was wrong.

If we had done this Management History migration in a more timely manner, I could have used Steps 6 and 9 of Matt Hitchcock’s migration process. If I’d paid a bit more attention to those steps, I might have given fiddling with those attributes manually a try earlier.

Since we ran split for over a year, I would do the following to avoid crushing subsequent changes that were made in 6.7 by simply copying over deprovision status from 6.5:

1) Find objects with dubious deprovisioning status in 6.7 and store them in lists.


Get-QADUser -Disabled -SearchAttributes @{DisplayName="Deprovisioned*";edsvaDeprovisionStatus=''} -IncludedProperties edsvaDeprovisionStatus, edsvaUnDeprovisionStatus, edsvaDeprovisionReportXml -SizeLimit 0 | Where { $_.edsvaDeprovisionReportXml -ne $null } | select name, edsvaDeprovisionStatus, edsvaUnDeprovisionStatus | export-csv C:\Temp\Deprovision-Problems.csv -notypeinformation

A lot of objects were “manually” undeprovisioned – enabled, attributes changed, but edsvaDeprovisionStatus was not changed. For reasons unknown to me, the -Enabled flag does not play nice with -SearchAttributes @{edsvaDeprovisionStatus=1}, and the calculated attribute edsaAccountIsDisabled is not searchable server-side. Icky.


Get-QADUser -SearchAttributes @{edsvaDeprovisionStatus=1} -SizeLimit 0 -IncludedProperties edsvaDeprovisionStatus, edsvaUnDeprovisionStatus, edsaAccountIsDisabled | where {$_.edsaAccountIsDisabled -eq $false} | select name, displayName, edsvaDeprovisionStatus, edsvaUnDeprovisionStatus | Export-Csv -NoTypeInformation -Path U:\Temp\UndeprovisionProblems.csv

2) Using those lists, get their edsvaDeprovisionStatus and edsvaUnDeprovisionStatus from 6.5.
3) Write the edsvaDeprovisionStatus and edsvaUnDeprovisionStatus from 6.5 into 6.7, then try deprovisioning/undeprovisioning my test objects.

Continue reading

Advertisements