Self-Service User Can’t Add Member to Group, or Error (0x800403fb) Unknown to Anyone

The first thing you should do when you get a weird error code is plug it into your favorite search engine or, with ARS, the ActiveRoles Knowledge Base. This time, there was nothing even vaguely related to ActiveRoles Server when I tried searching for 0x800403fb, so here’s something for the next person who runs into this: the group in question has a member that ActiveRoles Server cannot directly access, and that is likely what is causing your user to have problems maintaining that group.

A Secondary Owner was getting a weird error when he tried adding a new user to one of his groups via the ActiveRoles Server Self-Service web interface. A tech at the Help Desk was getting it, too, so it got referred to me. I took a look at the group in the MMC, and it stopped listing users when it got to 1150 of them. We have some groups with over 5,000 users (I do NOT recommend this), so too many users could not have been the problem. I tried

Get-QADGroupMember ProblemGroupName -SizeLimit 0

and got after about the 1150th result:

Get-QADGroupMember : Unknown error (0x800403fb)
At line:1 char:19
+ Get-QADGroupMember <<<< ProblemGroupName -SizeLimit 0
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-QADGroupMember], COMException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException,Quest.ActiveRoles.ArsPowerShellSnapIn.Powershel
l.Cmdlets.GetGroupMemberCmdlet

So, time to look at the members list as plain strings:

$group = Get-QADGroup ProblemGroupName

$group.members
(listed a whole bunch of distinguished names without complaint)

$group.members.count

1165

Ok, so a few more than were being displayed in the GUI.

I skimmed the list until this jumped out:

CN={17656956-4661-41ad-b4dd-0a1d4ff4fccf},CN=Application Contacts,CN=RTC Service,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=root,DC=hld

root.hld is our infrastructure domain, and regular users should not have anything to do with it.

RTC Service is put in the Configuration container when you first install Lync Server, and the creation date of this object aligned pretty well with when we started our Lync deployment.

So, I removed the offending object from the group:

Remove-QADGroupMember -Member 'CN={17656956-4661-41ad-b4dd-0a1d4ff4fccf},CN=Application Contacts,CN=RTC Service,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=root,DC=hld' -Identity ProblemGroupName

And when I redid Get-QADGroupMember ProblemGroupName … no problem 🙂

To make sure the problem object was no longer a group member:

(Get-QADGroup ProblemGroupName).members.count

1164

The help desk tech who referred the problem to me was able to add and remove users without issues, and will be calling the user to close the ticket.

Advertisements

Write your own memo:

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s